Why Open Source
Hard-to-ignore benefits are making Open Source development a fast growing trend for businesses and organizations today.
- Lower cost to install, adapt and maintain.
- Transparency. You can see the code! Take it apart, fix it, improve it. You can pick and choose among features, because you can access the code base.
- No vendor lock-in. Unhappy? Another open source vendor can easily step in and take over.
- Quality. As Open source grows, quality improves. Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst suggested at Red Hat Summit: "If we all had to walk around naked we'd all spend more time in the gym.“
- Reliability – Mature open-source code is peer reviewed and virtually bulletproof. It is more robust than proprietary systems that are closed to the same level of scrutiny.
- Flexibility. Adapt and grow according to your specific needs.
Feb. 2011. Gartner, Inc. found that more than half of organizations surveyed have adopted open-source software (OSS) solutions as part of their IT strategy. Nearly one-third of respondents cited benefits of flexibility, increased innovation, shorter development times and faster procurement processes as reasons for adopting OSS solutions.